[webkit-dev] Smart Pointer Analysis Tool for WebKit

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Wed Sep 23 01:27:11 PDT 2020

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 2:11 AM Konstantin Tokarev <annulen at yandex.ru>
wrote:

> Sounds great! A few questions:
> * Do I understand correctly that analyzer is a part of upstream clang and
> can work on any platform?

Yes.

* Does it require WebKit trunk or can work with older branches?

It should work with older branches as well as trunk since it doesn't rely
on any code-level annotations for now.

However, the plan is to add some annotations in the future to suppress
warnings where appropriate although we're hoping that we wouldn't need them
in too many places.

* Any plans to detect other kinds of misuses like circular references?

Not for now. For now, our primary focus is to detect dangerous use of
RefCounted objects and possibly any objects that can make WeakPtr in the
future.

- R. Niwa