[webkit-dev] PSA: Bit fields won't be packed on Windows if you mix types

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Fri Sep 4 11:14:54 PDT 2020

> On Sep 3, 2020, at 11:14 PM, Fujii Hironori <fujii.hironori at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> BTW, I don't like to idea adding a new rule, but keeping old style code. It introduces divergence between the guideline and actual code. Do we really need a new rule that one doesn’t necessary have to follow?

I understand that you don’t like this.

But all of our style rules are like this. We don’t apply them across our entire project at the moment we institute them. They guide the future of WebKit. So this is not a valid argument against adding a new rule.

You can help us apply a given rule to existing code if you feel strongly in a particular case, and in some cases it might be practical to quickly apply it everywhere relevant. Maybe in this case it is.

But that’s not the basis for deciding whether to make it a rule.

— Darin