[webkit-dev] WebKit Transition to Git

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Tue Oct 13 12:37:06 PDT 2020

> On Oct 3, 2020, at 9:42 AM, Tetsuharu OHZEKI <tetsuharu.ohzeki at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I think having to create an account on a website isn't the main thing
>>> preventing people to contribute anyway? It's more about having to use
>>> project-specific tools to prepare the patch for submission (in the case
>>> of WebKit, having to write the commit message in the Changelog file, for
>>> example).
>>
>> It's about all those things. We've definitely heard of people
>> complaining or refusing to create a Bugzilla account to report bugs.
>> I've gotta say I'm very much concerned about getting rid of change
>> logs when we move to Git. We put a lot of useful information about
>> what was causing the bug, how we fixed it, and why we fixed the way we
>> did in a change log. I've seen a few projects which transitioned to
>> Git and somehow lost the rigor in maintaining an equally high quality
>> commit message, partly because most code review tools don't let you
>> add inline comments to commit messages.
>
> I'd like to tell my feelings about a ChangeLog file other than
> perspective for code review.

I think we should come up with a way to have the same level of detail in commit messages as is currently present in ChangeLog entries.

One example: ChangeLog-style commit message is included in a file in the diff (so that the review tool can properly review it), and it would be dropped and converted to a commit entry at merge time.