[webkit-dev] WebKit Transition to Git

Adrian Perez de Castro aperez at igalia.com
Wed Oct 7 15:02:46 PDT 2020

Hello,

On Sun, 04 Oct 2020 01:57:56 -0700 Yusuke Suzuki <ysuzuki at apple.com> wrote:

> GitHub is planning to have review revisions in 2020/Q4.
> So, when WebKit repository is migrated, we already have that in GitHub builtin review tool :)
>
> https://github.com/github/roadmap/issues/54 <https://github.com/github/roadmap/issues/54>

It's not clear from the description in that issue that using a “rebase and
force-push” strategy to update patch sets to be will be supported and that the
differences between versions will be available. Rebases are not mentioned at
all, so I would not count on this workflow working even with the upcoming
improvements in 2020/Q4.

> > On Oct 3, 2020, at 5:18 PM, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro at gnome.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Oct 3, 2020 at 9:52 pm, Konstantin Tokarev <annulen at yandex.ru> wrote:
> >> If I understand correctly, there is no way in GitHub UI to see a difference between
> >> patches submitted at step 1 and step 3. It's still possible to see old version of patches
> >> if you navigate to old commit hash, but that's not for long as they can be garbage
> >> collected by GitHub because they don't belong to git branch anymore.
> >
> > If we are really seriously concerned about this... it's not a problem with
> > GitLab. At least, I can still view diffs between different revisions of
> > merge requests from two years ago, and the changes seem to be stored
> > forever. At least I still can view diffs from years ago. E.g.:
> >
> > https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/epiphany/-/merge_requests/62/diffs?diff_id=27669&start_sha=0c020384b602c9e1f0e8ec9e491d1951e8feadf7
> >
> > Unfortunately it's sometimes less useful than I might have hoped, because
> > rebases bring in a bunch of totally unrelated changes, e.g.:
> >
> > https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/epiphany/-/merge_requests/62/diffs?diff_id=28036&start_sha=043b5fc32f4f9263d393c9de83e1b331000023c5

This is the kind of thing that Gerrit is *designed* to solve :]

Cheers,
—Adrián