[webkit-dev] WebKit Transition to Git

Konstantin Tokarev annulen at yandex.ru
Mon Oct 5 17:42:11 PDT 2020

05.10.2020, 13:26, "Frédéric Wang" <fwang at igalia.com>:
> One thing to take into account is that WebKit's repository is big and
> public GitHub/GitLab prevent creating large repository by default. This
> means it might not be possible for contributors to actually fork
> WebKit's repository on their account and then create a pull request
> (which is the standard way IIUC).

Every repository which is already present on GitHub can be forked by
anyone without any restrictions.

There are restrictions for repositories which are not forks, e.g. if you
create new repo on your account and try to push whole WebKit there,
you'll get an error.

> Instead, we would probably end up
> doing like web-platform-tests and give contributors the permission to
> create branches to the WebKit account and make Pull Request to the
> master branch.

This is not needed and should be avoided - private development branches
in main repo will confuse users and will be copied into all forks.

>Probably, we should forbid people to commit to the master
> branch directly (I think someone broke WPT's master branch that way last
> year)...

I have to admit that ability to make small unreviewed commit for thing like
typo fix or change in personal watchlist is rather useful...

Konstantin