[webkit-dev] WebKit Transition to Git

Konstantin Tokarev annulen at yandex.ru
Mon Oct 5 17:32:24 PDT 2020

05.10.2020, 17:19, "Robert Ma" <robertma at chromium.org>:
> On Mon, Oct 5, 2020 at 6:22 AM Frédéric Wang <fwang at igalia.com> wrote:
>> One thing to take into account is that WebKit's repository is big and
>> public GitHub/GitLab prevent creating large repository by default. This
>> means it might not be possible for contributors to actually fork
>> WebKit's repository on their account and then create a pull request
>> (which is the standard way IIUC). Instead, we would probably end up
>> doing like web-platform-tests and give contributors the permission to
>> create branches to the WebKit account and make Pull Request to the
>> master branch. Probably, we should forbid people to commit to the master
>> branch directly (I think someone broke WPT's master branch that way last
>> year)...
>
> Note that this is not exactly the reason we give people write access in WPT. The WPT repo is not too big to impede forking. Rather, this was to work around some CI setup constraints (e.g. some secrets not accessible from forks), most of which have been resolved so the write access is largely for convenience for active developers (e.g. avoid having to sync the fork).

There is no need to sync the fork for any development activity. You can have WPT repo as an upstream for master branch, and push your topic branches to your own fork added as another remote. When you pull master it will be updated from WPT repo, or you can do git fetch and rebase your topic branch to origin/master.

The only possible downside is that master branch of your fork may become outdated, but since you don't need it for anything and use local master which is always in sync, it's just cosmetic issue.

Konstantin