[webkit-dev] WebKit Transition to Git

Konstantin Tokarev annulen at yandex.ru
Sun Oct 4 14:41:25 PDT 2020

02.10.2020, 19:46, "Jonathan Bedard" <jbedard at apple.com>:
> Monotonic Commit Identifiers
> Of great interest to Apple’s engineers has been retaining some kind of ordered tag we can use to refer to commits to make defending CI and bisection easier. We’ve developed a scheme for this that assigns commits an ordered identifier per-branch, outlined in https://trac.webkit.org/wiki/commit-identifiers, designed to be used alongside git hashes. These identifiers can be used in our current Subversion repository, and we would like to start using them before the project has transitions to git.

AFAIU, this is very close to what `git describe` does: you give it git hash, it gives you new identifier consisting of 3 parts:

<closest git tag>-<number of commits since that tag>-<abbreviated commit hash>

Note that resulting identifier can be used in all git operations which require git reference (like `git log` or `git show`).
So, if you push git tags to main repository (maybe lightweight tags, if you are planning to have lots of them), there is no need to invent any other identifiers.

As for bisection, git bisect works just fine when given two commit hashes.

Konstantin