[webkit-dev] WebKit Transition to Git

Konstantin Tokarev annulen at yandex.ru
Sat Oct 3 11:52:53 PDT 2020

03.10.2020, 05:18, "Ryosuke Niwa" <rniwa at webkit.org>:
> On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 5:06 PM Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro at gnome.org> wrote:
>>  On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 13:48, Ken Russell <kbr at google.com> wrote:
>>  > Github's code review UI has a couple of feature gaps in my opinion.
>>  > It's difficult to look at earlier versions of the pull request, in
>>  > particular to verify that issues found during code review have been
>>  > fixed. I remember it also being difficult to figure out whether all
>>  > comments on earlier versions have been addressed.
>>
>>  I'm not familiar with reviews on GitHub. I just want to add that GitLab
>>  reviews are great and have none of these problems. It's very easy to
>>  view older versions of merge requests and compare the differences
>>  between arbitrary revisions of the merge request. (That's often
>>  important when reviewing small changes to a large merge request.) Every
>>  discussion thread is clearly marked as either resolved (green!) or
>>  unresolved, and you can (and should) configure GitLab to block merges
>>  until all discussions are resolved. (I would be disappointed if GitHub
>>  doesn't have the same convenience features, as this helps prevent
>>  mistakes from being forgotten.)
>
> GitHub totally offers this. See, for example:
> https://github.com/whatwg/html/pull/5912

Let's consider this example in depth.

1. mfreed7 have pushed a patch series
2. You and others have added comments on what should be changed in patches
3. mfreed7 did all the changes in patches and force-pushed result

If I understand correctly, there is no way in GitHub UI to see a difference between
patches submitted at step 1 and step 3. It's still possible to see old version of patches
if you navigate to old commit hash, but that's not for long as they can be garbage
collected by GitHub because they don't belong to git branch anymore.

In contrast, with Gerrit you can see all revisions of each patch and compare
arbitrary revisions side by side to see how your comments were addressed and
what else was changed.

>>  > I realize that Gerrit might not integrate at all with hosting the
>>  > repo on Github, but has any thought been given to this aspect of the
>>  > transition?
>>
>>  That sounds like it would be a significant barrier to contribution, and
>>  frankly defeat the point of switching. If we have serious concerns with
>>  GitHub's code review functionality (which, again, I'm not familiar
>>  with), then we should just use GitLab and have everything in one place.
>>  (GitLab accepts GitHub logins via OAuth, both on gitlab.com and
>>  self-hosted instances, so the barrier to contributing remains low
>>  either way.)
>
> Indeed. Gerrit's UI is also quite dense and hard to use for someone
> new to it too:
> https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/c/plugins/replication/+/282176
>
> - R. Niwa

Konstantin