[webkit-dev] WebKit Transition to Git

Adrien Destugues pulkomandy at pulkomandy.tk
Sat Oct 3 11:44:48 PDT 2020

On Sat, Oct 03, 2020 at 08:43:40PM +0300, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
> >>  Gerrit accepts GitHub and other OAuth providers as well, so that's not a
> >>  problem. We have been using this for Haiku code reviews for a few years
> >>  now, and interestingly we got some complaints from people who don't want
> >>  to have a Github account (for various reasons) and won't use our code
> >>  review tool because of that.
> >
> > What are the reasons why people don't want to have a GitHub account? I wonder if that's somehow a different kind of barrier to entry to be concerned about.
>
> Maybe because it's owned by Microsoft, which is an enemy of all living things and
> basically are an embassy of Devil on Earth (no).

Yes that's why I didn't elaborate much. Whichever tool you pick, there
will always be people unhappy about it.

In the case of Github, reasons I've heard of are (not that I agree or
disagree with anything here, that's not the point):
- It's not open source
- It's owned by Microsoft
- It has contracts with the ICE in the USA
  (https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2020/01/ice-contract-github-sparks-developer-protests/604339/)
- It's too big and making a large part of open source work centralized in one
  place (mainly from people who already suffered from problems with Sourceforge
  or Google Code Project Hosting in the past, I guess)

--
Adrien / PulkoMandy