[webkit-dev] WebKit Transition to Git

Tetsuharu OHZEKI tetsuharu.ohzeki at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 09:42:13 PDT 2020

>> I think having to create an account on a website isn't the main thing
>> preventing people to contribute anyway? It's more about having to use
>> project-specific tools to prepare the patch for submission (in the case
>> of WebKit, having to write the commit message in the Changelog file, for
>> example).
>
> It's about all those things. We've definitely heard of people
> complaining or refusing to create a Bugzilla account to report bugs.
> I've gotta say I'm very much concerned about getting rid of change
> logs when we move to Git. We put a lot of useful information about
> what was causing the bug, how we fixed it, and why we fixed the way we
> did in a change log. I've seen a few projects which transitioned to
> Git and somehow lost the rigor in maintaining an equally high quality
> commit message, partly because most code review tools don't let you
> add inline comments to commit messages.

I'd like to tell my feelings about a ChangeLog file other than
perspective for code review.

As a newbie patch contributor, it's true that ChangeLog file is a
*bit* tired when I update a patch.
I felt repeatedly that it should be replaced by VCS' commit log to
make it easier.

On the other hand, ChangeLog file also helps me many times when I dig
into the history of WebKit
because ChangeLog file contains what functions are removed in which
commit with Bugzilla id
and sometimes includes detailed reason for changeset.

Perhaps it may be just that I don't know the way, VCS (I think here is
Git) has a powerful feature to trace when we added codes
but it's hard to trace when we removed codes, and it force a tough
work to me when I investigate why we introduced this line to fix a
bug.
By contrast, WebKit's ChangeLog file is helpful to make it easier to
trace both of adding ones and removing codes.

--
Tetsuharu OHZEKI
tetsuharu.ohzeki at gmail.com