[webkit-dev] WebKit Transition to Git

Adrien Destugues pulkomandy at pulkomandy.tk
Sat Oct 3 02:15:29 PDT 2020

> Github's code review UI has a couple of feature gaps in my opinion. It's
> difficult to look at earlier versions of the pull request, in particular to
> verify that issues found during code review have been fixed. I remember it
> also being difficult to figure out whether all comments on earlier versions
> have been addressed.
>
> Gerrit code review has worked well in my experience. It explicitly manages
> different versions of the same patch set, and prominently shows whether all
> code review comments have been addressed.
>
> I realize that Gerrit might not integrate at all with hosting the repo on
> Github, but has any thought been given to this aspect of the transition?

I agree, not only because I think Gerrit is a better tool for code
review, but also because with Git, the tool you chose has a large impact
on the way you work. Git provides a framework, and both Github and
Gerrit use this tool to implement quite different workflows and way to
manage code review and patches.

I think that is possibly more important than picking an hosting place
based only on its popularity, because if the tool doesn't match the way
you want to work, you will workaround it and the situation will not be a
lot better than it is now: you will end up with custom scripts to help
sending patches the correct way, and for contributors it won't be
anything like contributing to another github hosted repo anyway.

That being said, in my case I can say that if the patch submission
process is simplified by using standard git tools, I'm indeed more
likely to consider trying to upstream the Haiku port or at least some
parts of our changes. In the current situation it indeed seems easier to
maintain our fork on our side instead.

--
Adrien / PulkoMandy