[webkit-dev] Position on WebXr Lighting Estimation Module

Sergio Villar Senin svillar at igalia.com
Thu Nov 12 01:07:25 PST 2020

O Mér, 11-11-2020 ás 11:21 -0800, Alex Cooper via webkit-dev escribiu:
> Hello Webkit,
>
> I'd like to ask for WebKit's position on the WebXR Lighting
> Estimation Module. It's an extension of the WebXr Device API from the
> Immersive Web Community Group. The API allows web applications to
> request both the spherical harmonics representing ambient light as
> well as a reflection map. More details can be found in the explainer
> and specification draft.
>
> Explainer:
> https://github.com/immersive-web/lighting-estimation/blob/main/lighting-estimation-explainer.md
> Spec Draft: https://immersive-web.github.io/lighting-estimation/
> Chromestatus: https://www.chromestatus.com/features/5704707957850112
>
> Could I get your position on this?

Not officially speaking on WebKit's name, but wanted to comment on
this. The API seems interesting and sane from the functional POV. I
just wanted to ask for the potential mitigations for the additional
fingerprinting opportunities it provides for attackers. For example, in
the case of the pose it's advised to use rounding,quantization and/or
fuzzing. Would that work for lightning estimation or would it cause
more harm than benefit (I'm thinking about the different VR sickness).

BR