[webkit-dev] Embedding Identifiers in Commit Messages

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Wed Nov 11 07:56:46 PST 2020

On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 11:51 am, Jonathan Bedard <jbedard at apple.com>
wrote:
> We don’t have post commit hooks in SVN to do this sort of thing,
> and I don’t intend to add them now. We are going to have a system
> on GitHub to do this (not post commit hooks, but I won’t dive into
> the details here).
>
> There really aren’t a lot of people who land changes outside of
> webkit-patch, among things that would break if folks were regularly
> not using webkit-patch is trac.webkit.org, which relies on the commit
> message being set.

Probably not often on trunk. But on stable branches, I assume 100% of
changes are landed without webkit-patch? At least, I always used 'git
svn dcommit' on stable branches. I also used this on trunk when I
needed to fix an error in a ChangeLog (something webkit-patch is not
good at doing).

> Lastly, this doesn’t add a race-condition that wasn’t already
> there. One of the downsides of SVN is that, unlike git, it is a
> centralized version control system, so clients must be synced to
> upstream before committing. This is true now, even if you haven’t
> noticed it. If we didn’t have this race condition, our changeling
> history would be full of weird conflicts.

There should be no race condition because our GitHub repo should only
allow fast-forward commits. A server hook can ensure the commit
identifiers are sequential. Right?