[webkit-dev] User Agent Client Hints

Yoav Weiss yoav at yoav.ws
Mon Nov 2 08:56:51 PST 2020

Thanks for re-reviewing, Maciej!

Adding Mike Taylor, who's likely to take a closer look at this.

On Mon, Nov 2, 2020 at 2:17 AM Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> I just did a fresh review of that spec and explainer. Thanks for
> addressing many of the previous issues. This addresses many of the
> potential objections.
>
> Here’s the new issues I filed:
>
> https://github.com/WICG/ua-client-hints/issues/141
> https://github.com/WICG/ua-client-hints/issues/142
> https://github.com/WICG/ua-client-hints/issues/143
> https://github.com/WICG/ua-client-hints/issues/144
> https://github.com/WICG/ua-client-hints/issues/145
> https://github.com/WICG/ua-client-hints/issues/146
> https://github.com/WICG/ua-client-hints/issues/147
> https://github.com/WICG/ua-client-hints/issues/148
> https://github.com/WICG/ua-client-hints/issues/149
> https://github.com/WICG/ua-client-hints/issues/150
> https://github.com/WICG/ua-client-hints/issues/151

Thanks for filing those! We'll take a look and respond shortly.

> Most of these are minor/editorial, but I think 151 is potentially a
> deal-breaker. I may be misreading the spec, but as written
> getHighEntropyValues seems to give access to all of the high entropy client
> hints to third-party scripts in the first party context, and scripts
> running in third-party iframes, regardless of which ones the site has opted
> into via the relevant HTTP header.

That's indeed the case, as we didn't consider the Client Hints opt-in to be
something that impacts the availability of the JS API. (as it doesn't do
that for other hints)

That would be a huge problem, as it would grant a lot of active
> fingerprinting surface unnecessarily

We did discuss
<https://github.com/WICG/ua-client-hints/issues/37#issuecomment-576730548>
adding
a Feature Policy (now Permission Policy) to that effect. Would that help
with your concerns?

> (perhaps even expanding beyond what is currently possible with the UA
> string).

Can you expand on that last point?