[webkit-dev] Same-Site cookies by default

John Wilander wilander at apple.com
Fri Mar 6 20:50:15 PST 2020

> On Mar 6, 2020, at 6:59 PM, Patrick Griffis <pgriffis at igalia.com> wrote:
>
> On 2020-03-06 6:51 pm, John Wilander wrote:
>> Hi Patrick!
>>
>> Thanks for bringing this up. I’ll share my view of where we are.
>>
>> First of all, cookies mostly live in the http layer so the various
>> WebKit ports would have to work this out independently to some extent.
>> Maybe libcurl and libsoup have readily available APIs for this?
>
> libsoup added samesite support this cycle implemented as the spec
> describes so I was wondering if we should add a toggle for this new
> behavior.

Do you mean implemented as per SameSite=lax by default and enforced TLS for SameSite=none? If so, you are indeed ready to just turn it on.

SameSite support in general does not suffice for this change though, since it involves two upgrades of cookies, not just adhering to what incoming cookie headers say.

Then there’s document.cookie. I don’t know how non-Cocoa platforms stitch up their cookie policy to that JavaScript API.

>> Second, we have communicated tentative support for SameSite=lax by
>> default, but in terms of its privacy protections, WebKit is far ahead
>> with its Intelligent Tracking Prevention (ITP, or Resource Load
>> Statistics in open source). Servers that expect to get default
>> third-party cookie access merely through a SameSite=none; Secure
>> configuration will find that such an option does not exist under ITP.
>> Instead, third-parties who need cookie access can make use of the
>> Storage Access API which gives users control and transparency.
>
> There are still ports without ITP; I understand the solution there is to
> implement ITP though :)

It’s there if you want it. You just need to implement the port-specific parts and enable the tests.

   Regards, John