[webkit-dev] Terminology: Could we change 'roll out' to 'roll back'?

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Fri Mar 6 18:49:34 PST 2020

I agree this usage of “roll out” is potentially confusing.

I think people say “roll out” for the symmetry to “check in”. It also creates the convenient term “roll back in” for when a rollout is undone.

Personally, I think we should say “revert” and avoid use of roll-phrases entirely. “unrevert” isn’t quite as natural as “roll back in”, but it’s good enough. Or you could say “re-land”.

Regards,
Maciej