[webkit-dev] Switching open source Debug bots to building and testing with configuration --force-opt=O3

Mark Lam mark.lam at apple.com
Fri Jun 19 13:03:10 PDT 2020

> On Jun 19, 2020, at 10:02 AM, Alexey Proskuryakov <ap at webkit.org> wrote:
>

>> 19 июня 2020 г., в 9:59 AM, Mark Lam <mark.lam at apple.com <mailto:mark.lam at apple.com>> написал(а):

>>> Replying to this point specifically, I wanted to point out that WebKit tests take 2x longer in debug, not 10x longer. JSC tests take 3.6x longer.
>>
>> Since I collected real data on this last night on the actual bot that runs the JSC stress tests, I’ll share the data here:
>>
>> Build time
>> A clean build using buid-jsc for a normal Debug build on bot638 takes about 4.5 minutes.
>> A clean build using build-jsc for a --force-opt=O3 Debug build on bot638 takes about 6 minutes.
>>
>> Test run time
>> Running with a regular Debug build, the test completed in about 4 hours 41 minutes with 1 timeout.
>> Running with a --force-opt=O3 Debug build, the test completed in about 39 minutes with 0 timeouts.
>>
>> The difference in test run time is 281 minutes vs 29 minutes.  That is a 7.2x ratio, not 3.6x.
>
> https://build.webkit.org/builders/Apple-Catalina-Debug-JSC-Tests/builds/1080 <https://build.webkit.org/builders/Apple-Catalina-Debug-JSC-Tests/builds/1080> - 4 hrs, 5 secs
> https://build.webkit.org/builders/Apple-Catalina-Release-JSC-Tests/builds/2546 <https://build.webkit.org/builders/Apple-Catalina-Release-JSC-Tests/builds/2546> - 1 hrs, 6 mins, 27 secs
>
> That's 3.6x.

Some details to consider:

1. https://build.webkit.org/builders/Apple-Catalina-Release-JSC-Tests/builds/2546 <https://build.webkit.org/builders/Apple-Catalina-Release-JSC-Tests/builds/2546> runs on a different bot than https://build.webkit.org/builders/Apple-Catalina-Debug-JSC-Tests/builds/1080 <https://build.webkit.org/builders/Apple-Catalina-Debug-JSC-Tests/builds/1080> .

2. You’re comparing a Release build run vs a Debug build run, not an O3 Debug build vs a regular Debug build.

3. Release builds do less work e.g. all debug ASSERTs are disabled.  Debug only validation code is disabled.

4. Not every file in a Release build is compiled with O3.  If I remember correctly, some are O3, others are not.  None are O0.

5. The collection of JSC tests run for Debug builds and Release builds are slightly different.  For example, Debug builds run 71793 jsc stress tests.  Release builds runs 69950 jsc stress tests.  Hence, the Debug builds run 1843 more tests.

My main point here is that Release builds are not the same as O3 Debug builds: some things are faster, some things are slower.  A Release build test run is at best an approximate representation of how a Debug O3 build test run will behave.  FWIW, my data came from actually running an O3 Debug build and a regular Debug build on the same bot.

But my number are purely from timing the run of the tests.  If the numbers reported from the bot includes time for any bots scripts in addition to the test run times (I don’t know if there are any), then the total run time will also be different than the numbers I collected.  Feel free to use the 3.6x ratio if you prefer.

About -Og numbers (using the same measurement methology as my O3 Debug and regular Debug runs):

Build time: A clean build using build-jsc for a --force-opt=Og Debug build on bot638 takes about 5.5 minutes.
Test run time: Running with a --force-opt=Og Debug build, the test completed in about 2 hours 19 minute minutes with 0 timeouts.

That's about 3.5x slower than the Debug O3 run.

Mark