[webkit-dev] Plugin process

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Mon Jul 20 07:35:24 PDT 2020

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 11:47 am, Adrian Perez de Castro
<aperez at igalia.com> wrote:
> Our tentative plan for sunsetting the NPAPI support is to keep
> supporting
> the GTK3 plugin process in the next stable release series. This means
> that
> we could remove the support from trunk after creating the stable
> branch
> for the 2.30.x releases—that would be around September-October 2020.

Well branching normally occurs in August... just a few weeks away now.
Then we can make the plugin process specific to PLATFORM(COCOA), until
Apple figures out if it can be removed, and we can delete the support
for all other platforms.

For now, I'll submit a patch to deprecate these settings without
changing behavior yet.

> I think we would need to make the public API to toggle the support
> for plugins
> a no-op and log a warning to avoid breaking applications.

Well a warning certainly doesn't hurt. I suspect no applications are
using it, though.

Michael