[webkit-dev] WebKit position on Web NFC

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Wed Jan 22 01:23:29 PST 2020

On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 12:23 AM François Beaufort ���� <
fbeaufort at google.com> wrote:

> Maciej said earlier they could provide more details if desired.

Well, you have to tell us what details you're looking for.

Would you have any alternative ideas that would help ordinary people
> understand the full security & privacy implications of granting NFC access?

I can't imagine how given most people don't know what NFC is.

I'll go off a bit on a tangent and say that one of the primary strengths of
the Web is that users can visit any website without the fear of their
computing devices being permanently compromised. Unfortunately, APIs such
as Web NFC, Web USB, Web Serial API would pose new threats for persistent
attacks on external devices exposed by those APIs. If we continue this
path, at some point (or maybe we're already there), the Web will turn into
any other non-Web platform where ordinary users can (or are advised to)
only use well known trusted applications or visit well known trusted
websites just like how native apps work today.

- R. Niwa