[webkit-dev] Position on emerging standard: video.requestAnimationFrame()

Simon Fraser simon.fraser at apple.com
Tue Jan 21 13:01:08 PST 2020

> On Jan 21, 2020, at 12:37 PM, Thomas Guilbert <tguilbert at google.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
> I'm reaching out to see if webkit would like to weigh in on the following proposal:
> https://discourse.wicg.io/t/proposal-video-requestanimationframe/3691 <https://discourse.wicg.io/t/proposal-video-requestanimationframe/3691>
> The HTMLVideoElement.requestAnimationFrame() API allows web developers to be notified when a video frame has been presented for composition, and provides metadata for that frame.
> If you want to try it out, a prototype is available in Chromium Dev, behind the enable-experimental-web-platform-features flag.

This is not official feedback, but I have some issues with the proposal.

First, the name is confusing. It sounds like you're requesting a frame from the video, but it's really a "frame available" callback. Why not call it onFrameAvailable()?

Second, its interaction with normal requestAnimationFrame() and the HTML event loop needs to be better defined. Where in in the https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/webappapis.html#event-loop-processing-model <https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/webappapis.html#event-loop-processing-model> do these callbacks fire?

Simon