[webkit-dev] Proposal: add Privacy to WebKit Project Goals

Brent Fulgham bfulgham at apple.com
Sun Feb 16 20:43:16 PST 2020

> On Feb 16, 2020, at 12:39 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:
>

> There hasn’t been any feedback on this, so below is a proposed change (in PrettyPatch HTML format) to <https://webkit.org/project/ <https://webkit.org/project/>>.
>
> In addition to adding Privacy as a goal, I also added Battery Life, and tweaked a few of the existing goals.
>
> Thoughts?
>

> project-new.html
>
>  32<h4><a name="privacy"></a>Privacy</h4>
>  33<p>Users want their privacy respected. We avoid directly violating the user's privacy, and strive to prevent websites and other parties from doing so.</p>

The term “directly violating” sounds a little soft. Do we not care about indirect privacy violations?

I don’t know the right wording to use, but I would like to say something along the lines of:

“Users want their privacy respected. We avoid violating the user’s privacy, and strive to prevent websites and other parties form doing so, too. We view the UserAgent’s primary responsibility to be protecting the interests of the user. We therefore do not support or intend to implement web standards that are at odds with these goals, or that create mechanisms to fingerprint or otherwise monitor user behavior.”

Thanks,

-Brent