[webkit-dev] Step 1 of Plugin removal: Deleting NPAPI (and thus Flash support)

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Thu Feb 6 00:38:20 PST 2020

I discussed this some with Apple folks internally. Besides the PDF plugin mentioned by Dean, macOS apps using the WebKit API have the ability to embed NPAPI plugins in their app bundle and register them for WebView use. We are not sure if this is currently in use by any important apps, but we feel obligated to do some compatibility testing before we fully rip things out.

> On Feb 6, 2020, at 12:25 AM, Carlos Garcia Campos <carlosgc at webkit.org> wrote:
>
> El mar, 14-01-2020 a las 05:06 +1100, Dean Jackson escribió:
>>

>>> On 13 Jan 2020, at 20:14, Carlos Garcia Campos <carlosgc at webkit.org

>>> WPE has never supported NPAPI plugins and the GTK port removed the
>>> support for GTK2 plugins (flash) already in our current stable
>>> version.
>>> Plugins not using GTK at all (or using GTK3) are still supported by
>>> GTK
>>> port (some of them only under X11, though). I'm ok with removing