[webkit-dev] Request for position on Event Timing

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Sat Aug 8 20:36:33 PDT 2020

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 2:09 PM Rob Buis <rbuis at igalia.com> wrote:

> I was not aware of Long Tasks API. However it seems to have a slightly
> different focus (task vs. input events). Also I am mostly interested in
> First Input Delay, and it was decided some time ago to not put it in
> Long Tasks API (see
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYMLTkjcyOZR5Jt3vrulzMSoS32zOFtwyH33f6hW_C8/edit#).

The concern still withstands. We don't have dozens of slightly
different APIs that websites need to track for junks & delays during
user interactions.

It's also unclear how this first input delay works with a single page
app which may have multiple transitions after a single page load from
the browser engine's perspective. There had been some discussions
about this in the past in Web Perf WG but I don't think we've come to
any conclusion about it.

In general, I'm hesitant to have any of these APIs implemented in
WebKit without figuring out more coherent picture of how they'd all
fit together to address underlying use cases.

- R. Niwa