[webkit-dev] Requesting feedback about EWS comments on Bugzilla bugs

Aakash Jain aakash_jain at apple.com
Thu Sep 19 09:45:02 PDT 2019

> On Jun 16, 2019, at 2:14 PM, Darin Adler <darin at apple.com> wrote:
>
>> On Jun 15, 2019, at 9:13 PM, Aakash Jain <aakash_jain at apple.com <mailto:aakash_jain at apple.com>> wrote:
>>
>> 1) Do not upload archive (for layout-test-results) on bugzilla, instead upload it to another server, unzip it and post a link to the results.html.
>> Pros:
>> a) Engineers won't have to download the attachment, unzip it, look for failures, and then delete it from their disk. They can simply click the url to view the results.
>> b) This approach will also reduce 2 comments per failure to 1 comment. Currently there are two comments per failure, one for failure details, second for bugzilla attachment.
>
> Great improvement to do this.

We have implemented this in the new EWS. Layout test results are no longer added to EWS as attachments. Instead they are available to view in browser or download from the Buildbot build page.

> The most confusing thing about build bot comments is all the “creation of attachments” extra text with things like “attachment number” and “patch".
>
> However, it’s really nice that I can download a directory full of test results easily. I’d like to see the EWS website still have that feature.
>
>> 4) When a patch becomes 'obsolete', tag the corresponding EWS comments as 'obsolete', so that they will be hidden.
>
> Incredibly valuable.
>
>> 5) Do not comment on bugzilla bug at all
>
> I think this makes sense. I don’t see a reason that test results need to be comments. I think the “red bubble” in EWS already calls someone’s attention to failures.
>
> If we want to augment it, we should think of what we are aiming at. I do find it useful to see which tests are failing, and when I click on the red bubble I don’t see that information. I have to click once to see the “log of activities” then click on “results”, then see a confusing giant file with lots of other information. At the bottom of that file the one thing I want to know.
>
> A better hierarchy is to put that “what new tests are failing” summary right t the top and let the logs be fallbacks, not the primary place to see the features.
>
>> instead send email to the author of the patch.
>
> Why? I don’t think this should send any emails at all, unless the person requested it.
>
>> Pros: less noisy, also this will allow to include more detailed information about the failure in email.
>
> I think the more detailed information should be on the webpage, not in an email.
>
>> Cons: reviewers would have to click status-bubbles to see the failures, failure information is not immediately present in the comments.
>
> I think we should start with this approach, eliminating the comments entirely.

Following this suggestion, we eliminated the comments entirely in the new EWS. However, some people mentioned that since there are no comments, they do not get email notifications on failure, e.g.: https://webkit.org/b/200399 <https://webkit.org/b/200399>. Maybe we should have some kind of comments by EWS. Few ideas:

1) Comment on first failure for a patch, e.g.: "Some failures were noticed by EWS, please check the status bubbles".

2) Comment about success on all queues, e.g.: "Patch passed all EWS queues".

What do you guys think?