[webkit-dev] Emojis for builder vs tester in EWS status-bubbles

Aakash Jain aakash_jain at apple.com
Fri Sep 13 14:25:32 PDT 2019

Hi Everyone,

We had this long-standing issue with the EWS bubbles that many engineers were confused whether a queue was build-only, test-only or build-and-test.

For e.g.: https://webkit.org/b/152790
Simon Fraser 2016-01-06: "From the EWS bubbles you can't tell if a bot is a build-only bot, or a build-and-test bot. All this time I've been assuming that GTK was running tests, and that assumption was wrong."

To solve that, we recently added emojis in the status-bubbles. Builder queues will only have builder emoji, tester queues will only have tester emoji, and build-and-test queues will have both builder and tester emojis. Also, we have separated most of the build-and-test queues into separate builder queues and tester queues. These changes should help in clarifying which queue does what. The emojis we have used are:

Builder: ��️ (https://emojipedia.org/hammer-and-wrench/)

Tester: �� (https://emojipedia.org/microscope/)

The emoji for tester doesn't feel very appropriate, and I am curious to know if anyone has a better suggestion. I previously used �� (https://emojipedia.org/test-tube/), but this emoji was added to Unicode last year only, and older OSes don't have this emoji. So I switched to the current (microscope) emoji in https://webkit.org/b/201532.

Please let me know if anyone has suggestions for better emojis. If not, atleast this email would let people know the purpose of these emojis.

Thanks
Aakash