[webkit-dev] Can the WebKit logo be used for WebKit ports? (like WebKitGTK)

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Fri Oct 11 19:49:59 PDT 2019

On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 9:38 AM Konstantin Tokarev <annulen at yandex.ru>
wrote:

> 10.10.2019, 23:10, "Ryosuke Niwa" <rniwa at webkit.org>:
> > People often associate the term "WebKit" with Apple's WebKit port in
> practice. The risk here is really about people not understanding the nuance
> of port specific bugs & set of features.
>
> However, Safari has its own column in the table, and its logo is very
> different.

I don't think that addresses my primary concern. It's very important to
signal to the rest of the world that a single port of WebKit doesn't
represent the entirety of the WebKit project for the purpose of WPT pass
rate or any other standards compliance.

We already had a discussion about how how Apple should provide JSC binary
on Linux despite of the fact Apple does not maintain any port on Linux:
https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2017-December/029805.html

I don't think we want to add more confusion to the situation by different
ports of WebKit using the WebKit logo on wpt.fyi or any other place for
that matter.

- R. Niwa