[webkit-dev] EWS Comments on Bugzilla (Was: EWS now parses error logs in case of build failure)

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Mon Nov 4 13:37:02 PST 2019

On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 9:40 AM Alexey Proskuryakov <ap at webkit.org> wrote:

> Can you elaborate on that, how exactly is e-mailing on first failure
> useful to reviewers?
>
> Getting rid of Bugzilla comments was one of the goals of EWS rewrite,
> based on engineering feedback about noise in bugs and in e-mail, and I
> wholeheartedly agree with this feedback. So I think that comments are
> generally undesirable.
>
> Since I don't understand what your precise scenario is, I may be make
> straw man arguments below, but here are some things that I think make the
> proposed behavior unhelpful (add a comment on first failure, or when all
> EWSes pass).
>
> 1. EWS comments in Bugzilla are so annoying that some people take the
> radical step of manually hiding them. EWS history is archived anyway, there
> is no need to look into comments for it.
>
> 2. There are often many people CC'ed on the bug to whom EWS data is
> irrelevant or even mysterious (e.g. reporters, web developers or
> non-reviewers). The noise is a slight annoyance, discouraging further
> participation in the project.
>
> 3. I believe that for most reviewers, the mode of operation is one of the
> two: (1) do it when pinged directly, or (2) go over the review queue when
> one has the time. Getting EWS comments helps neither.
>
> 4. Commenting when all EWSes pass is not very practical - it's too often
> that we have some stragglers that take days (or forever). I don't think
> that we can make it reliable even if we start actively policing EWS
> responsiveness.
>
> 5. The reviewer likely wants to know the state of multiple EWSes if they
> are going to wait for EWS at all. What exactly are they going to do after
> getting an e-mail that one EWS failed?

I often use a EWS failure as a signal to wait reviewing a patch. Otherwise,
a bug mail will stay in my inbox as one of items to get to.

I can see the usefulness in the somewhat unusual case of a super urgent
> patch. We may want multiple people to watch it, so that members of CC list
> would go and ask the patch author to update it with more urgency than
> e-mail allows for. I think that opt-in is a better mechanism for that, so
> that people who opted in would receive information about each EWS data
> point.

I think there is a value in knowing that a patch isn't ready instead of
having to open the bug to realize that.

- R. Niwa