[webkit-dev] [Styling] () for a lambda without arguments (Was Space between [] and () in C++ lambdas)

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Sat Nov 2 19:37:49 PDT 2019

On Sat, Nov 2, 2019 at 1:23 AM Antti Koivisto <koivisto at iki.fi> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 2, 2019 at 1:38 AM Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 11:53 AM Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro at gnome.org>
>> wrote:

>>> ��: I omit the () when there are no parameters, as in these examples.
>>>

>> I guess that's another thing we should decide. Should we, or should we
>> not have () when there are no arguments.
>>

> I think this is easily settled by voting via exiting practice. We have
> 1287 instances of [&] { and 107 instances of [&]() { and &] () { across the
> whole WebKit.

That’s good to know. Why don’t we go with the status quo then.

In this case, we do put a space between ] or ) and {, right?

I guess this is also consistent with the way people write objective C
blocks:
https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/ProgrammingWithObjectiveC/WorkingwithBlocks/WorkingwithBlocks.html

For JavaScript, this rule probably doesn’t apply because arrow function and
regular anonymous function both require ().

- R. Niwa

--
- R. Niwa