[webkit-dev] [Styling] Space between [] and () in C++ lambdas

Antti Koivisto koivisto at iki.fi
Sat Nov 2 01:17:17 PDT 2019

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 10:50 PM Yusuke Suzuki <ysuzuki at apple.com> wrote:

> > On Nov 1, 2019, at 11:53, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro at gnome.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 11:19 am, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:
> >> Namely, some people write a lambda as:
> >> auto x = [] () { }
> >> with a space between [] and () while others would write it as:
> >> auto x = []() { }
> >
> > ��: I omit the () when there are no parameters, as in these examples.
> >
> > No preference on spacing.
>
> I like having a space here, because this rule is simpler to me.
> If we always have a space between them, this is clear that the above case
> is written in `[] { }` instead of `[]{ }`.

I prefer not having the redundant space in [](). It also makes logical
sense to me to keep the lambda signature together. I started using lambdas
with space there, dropped it later, and suffered no adverse consequences.

As for existing practice, WebCore favors spaceless ]( about 2:1 but across
the entire WebKit it is closer to 1:1.

We always put space before { } block, I don't think that is really in
question here, or creating any inconsistencies.

   antti