[webkit-dev] Changing the svn commit hook to allow tabs for tests.

Alexey Proskuryakov ap at webkit.org
Fri May 10 17:34:55 PDT 2019

> 10 мая 2019 г., в 13:50, Darin Adler <darin at apple.com> написал(а):
>
>> On May 10, 2019, at 1:13 PM, Keith Miller <keith_miller at apple.com> wrote:
>>
>> I’m not sure I know what you mean by allow a whole-directory exception. Do you mean a top level directory? Or some kind of parameter we pass to the hook to ignore some directory for that run?
>
> I meant that we could add something the pre-commit hook could see in Subversion that would create an exception for a whole directory, rather than something inside the hook itself. Perhaps a specially named file, or a Subversion attribute on a specially named file, or something more clever. If Subversion had attributes on directories, it could be that.

Subversion supports properties on directories, we use those for svn:ignore as an example. It is correct that the pre-commit hook doesn't currently check parent directory properties.

An alternative is to just set it on all files in the directory.

>> you can’t commit with git-svn as it doesn’t support svn properties (or at least I wasn’t able to figure it out)
>
> Ah, that’s a big blocker if lots of people are using git-svn — I certainly use it.

Looks like it may now work with recent versions of git (as in since 2015), https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1271449/how-to-set-subversion-properties-with-git-svn :

git-svn: support for git-svn propset

This change allows git-svn to support setting subversion properties.

It is useful for manually setting properties when committing to a subversion repo that requiresproperties to be set without requiring moving your changeset to separate subversion checkout in order to set props.

There is a nit to point out: the code does not support adding props unless there are also content changes to the files as well.
This is demonstrated in the testcase.

- Alexey