[webkit-dev] Queries regarding few Components in webkit

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at igalia.com
Sun Mar 17 07:08:10 PDT 2019

Hi,

It might be more realistic to try making an existing WebKit port work
on Haiku (either WebKitGTK or WPE WebKit) rather than try to create an
entirely new port.

Previously you indicated that you were planning to create a new network
backend for Haiku; that alone would be enough to occupy a developer
full-time for a long while and doesn't seem very realistic. But that's
just one small portion of developing and maintaining an entire WebKit
port. Taking an existing port and making it run on Haiku would be much
easier.

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 7:38 AM, Rajagopalan Gangadharan
<g.raju2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> What is a WKRetainPtr ? where can I use it?

It's a smart pointer for holding ownership of C API types, which you
shouldn't be using. The C API is not stable and is slowly being
retired. If you really don't want to use WebKitGTK or WPE WebKit, then
you should create your own separate public API based on WebKit
internals, not based on the C API. If you use the C API, your port will
be difficult to maintain in the long run.

> What is WKContext and WKView (I think Webview is different from
> WKView) -> as far my understanding is Context like the context menu
> an os offers (ie right clicking provides copy,paste etc.)

No, it's a library context object (corresponding to WebProcessPool). If
you have two web contexts, you effectively have two separate instances
of WebKit (e.g. separate NetworkProcess, separate data storage
directories, separate everything) to avoid shared global state.

> and View is where rendering takes place?

This is correct.

Good luck,

Michael