[webkit-dev] Incremental unified builds on macOS

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Tue Jun 25 16:20:22 PDT 2019

It’s unlikely the problem is due to unified builds, since those are just source files with includes in them.

But I have encountered problems like this before; sometimes they are things affecting lots of people and I’ve been able to fix them. When trying to understand causes of this kind of problem in the past, an Xcode build system feature that Dan Bernstein told me about was really useful. To use it you can type this command:

% defaults write com.apple.dt.Xcode ExplainWhyBuildCommandsAreRun -bool YES

Then rebuild and the log will contain additional information about each build step.

Good luck and please let us know what you find!

— Darin

PS: That should work for now since WebKit still uses the “legacy Xcode build system” but I hear it won’t work once we move to the modern build system.