[webkit-dev] Requesting feedback about EWS comments on Bugzilla bugs
aakash_jain at apple.com
Sat Jun 15 21:13:19 PDT 2019
I am gathering feedback about EWS - specially about the comments which EWS makes on the Bugzilla bugs. Currently, the comments are not very user-friendly/polished/readable and are sometimes very noisy (e.g.: 72 comments and 36 attachments by EWS in https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=177484 <https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=177484>). I am working on improving them and looking for specific ideas/feedback.
Few ideas which I am considering:
1) Do not upload archive (for layout-test-results) on bugzilla, instead upload it to another server, unzip it and post a link to the results.html.
a) Engineers won't have to download the attachment, unzip it, look for failures, and then delete it from their disk. They can simply click the url to view the results.
b) This approach will also reduce 2 comments per failure to 1 comment. Currently there are two comments per failure, one for failure details, second for bugzilla attachment.
2) Aggregate comments from multiple queues.
Pros: less noise
Cons: comments would get delayed while waiting for results from other queues. (Also might be little complex to implement)
3) Improve the text of the comments to make them more readable (specific ideas are welcome).
4) When a patch becomes 'obsolete', tag the corresponding EWS comments as 'obsolete', so that they will be hidden.
5) Do not comment on bugzilla bug at all, instead send email to the author of the patch.
Pros: less noisy, also this will allow to include more detailed information about the failure in email.
Cons: reviewers would have to click status-bubbles to see the failures, failure information is not immediately present in the comments.
What do you guys think?
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the webkit-dev