[webkit-dev] Moving to Python 3

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Tue Jul 16 15:02:34 PDT 2019

> On Jul 16, 2019, at 12:46 PM, Alexey Proskuryakov <ap at webkit.org> wrote:
>
> - They shouldn't make it excessively difficult to do WebKit engineering on older versions of macOS.
>
> "Excessively" is not clearly defined, but it seems obvious that there is a tradeoff between tools work difficulty, and difficulty for engineers who go back to older macOS versions (and implicitly, difficulty for people who set up bots, QA engineers, and others involved).
>
> I don't think that anyone ever suggested that it will be up to each engineer to figure out the best way to install Python 3.

Lets keep in mind our strategy to keep development of WebKit on macOS easy. We want to preserve this. The steps (assuming git) are:

https://webkit.org/build-tools/
• download and install Xcode from Apple
% xcode-select --install

https://webkit.org/getting-the-code/
% git clone git://git.webkit.org/WebKit.git WebKit
% Tools/Scripts/webkit-patch setup-git-clone

https://webkit.org/building-webkit/
% build-webkit --debug

https://webkit.org/running-webkit/
% run-safari

We’d really like to keep it to a small number of steps. Having to download and install anything else would be a significant additional step.

— Darin