[webkit-dev] Moving to Python 3

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at igalia.com
Fri Jul 12 12:49:22 PDT 2019

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 2:18 PM, Jonathan Bedard <jbedard at apple.com>
wrote:
> The trouble I foresee us encountering with any scheme which attempts
> a conversion which retains both Python 2.7 and Python 3 compatibility
> is code like this:

Is python2 support required for a well-motivated transitional purpose?

I had previously proposed making all our scripts work with both python2
and python3 only because I thought Apple was going to require python2
indefinitely. Now that you're interested in this transition, there's
probably no need to continue python2 support. Anyone building WebKit on
older versions of macOS can reasonably be expected to manually install
python3, right? And it's clear that you're prepared to do this for
infrastructure/bots already.

Then million-dollar question is: what shebangs will we use for our
scripts? Will #!/usr/bin/env python3 work for Apple?

Michael