[webkit-dev] Can we jettison Sputnik?

Ross.Kirsling at sony.com Ross.Kirsling at sony.com
Tue Jan 15 11:50:25 PST 2019

Hi everybody,

I’d like to verify whether there’s any specific reason that the LayoutTests/sputnik directory continues to exist.

According to Wikipedia, “All current Sputnik tests have been incorporated into ECMA's Test262 test suite.” (Here “current” evidently means June 2011.) And indeed, when making fixes to address Test262 failures in JSC, it’s quite awkward to have to update the Sputnik expectations to reflect any new “failures”—particularly given that it’s not sufficient to simply build JSC in order to run them.

Would anyone object to a patch deleting this directory outright? The only concern that occurs to me is that Test262 is not currently integrated into EWS.

Thanks!
Ross