[webkit-dev] Moving to Git

Adrian Perez de Castro aperez at igalia.com
Wed Feb 20 13:48:41 PST 2019

On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 22:30:22 +0300, Konstantin Tokarev <annulen at yandex.ru> wrote:

> 20.02.2019, 22:27, "Bug Tracker" <bug.tracking.account at protonmail.com>:
>
> > Sorry, for the anonymous email. I opted for it because the list archives are public and concluded that it's not that useful to reveal my identity for the purposes of this question.
> >
> > In short, however, I am a graduate student interested in using WebKit for an academic project and thought that I should ask first about the progress on Git migration, since it would be far easier for me to work with WebKit then.
>
> You can use public Git mirror:
>
> https://github.com/WebKit/webkit

You can even do upstream WebKit development using exclusively Git, even
without needing to use the GitHub mirror, see:

  https://trac.webkit.org/wiki/UsingGitWithWebKit#Checkout

Even for things which would normally require Subversion, “git svn” can be
used 99.9% of the time. For the usual “pull latest code from master, make
a branch, prepare a patch, upload patch to Bugzilla for landing” Subversion
is not needed at all. Just make sure you have 20 to 30 GiB of space for the
Git checkout and building WebKit.

For other more specialized workflows, like checking out release branches and
version tags you will need some “git svn” usage; but IMO that is still nicer
than having to use Subversion.

I hope this helps!

-Adrián