[webkit-dev] Tools/TestWebKitAPI

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at igalia.com
Tue Feb 5 17:06:31 PST 2019

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 4:01 PM, Ross.Kirsling at sony.com wrote:
> That said, I would expect specifically the Tools/TestWebKitAPI/Tests
> subdirectory to be the thing moved to APITests/, since the code that
> actually runs the tests is as much a “tool” as DRT, WKTR, or
> various other test-running scripts under
>  Tools/Scripts are.

I dunno, we could do it either way, but there's value in keeping
related code together. E.g. our tests subclass lots of TestWebKitAPI
classes, so we'd have code in APITests/ subclassing stuff under
Tools/TestWebKitAPI/. It's much more tightly-coupled than, say, the
layout tests are to TestController/WKTR, which communicates with layout
tests over well-defined interfaces. In contrast, our API tests really
depend on implementation details of TestWebKitAPI and they often have
to be changed in tandem.

Michael