[webkit-dev] Offline Assembler build step always computes hashes even when nothing changes

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Sun Sep 16 16:03:35 PDT 2018

I noticed that the “Offline Assembler” build step was taking between 5 and 30 seconds every time I build. Really stands out in incremental builds. I realized that this step does not do any dependency analysis. Every time, it builds a hash of the input to see if it needs to recompute the assembly.

That’s probably not the best pattern; normally we like to use file modification dates to avoid doing any work when files haven’t changed.

Is there someone who can help me fix this so we get faster incremental builds?

— Darin