[webkit-dev] Unified sources have broken our #include hygiene

Keith Rollin krollin at apple.com
Tue Sep 4 10:51:39 PDT 2018

> On Sep 1, 2018, at 19:25, Darin Adler <darin at apple.com> wrote:
>
> I’ve long been interested in <https://include-what-you-use.org> and wondered whether we could use it, but it sort of does the opposite, and the “multiple platforms” problem could well make even that tool impractical for us.

I’ve spent a couple of weeks-of-code looking into IWYU. It didn't seem practical for us. Our source code is not quite in the shape that IWYU desires and getting it into that shape would take a lot of effort (your comment about multiple platforms being an example of the issues I faced). And a trial of just running WTF through IWYU didn’t show any progress towards my goal at the time, which was to speed up builds by reducing the number of #includes. Keith Miller’s approach with the Unified Sources was way more effective. Establishing a goal of using IWYU to solve Simon’s problem is probably more trouble than it’s worth, IMO.

— Keith