[webkit-dev] [Deadline October 30] Dropping support for Arm traditional (no Thumb2)?

Guillaume Emont guijemont at igalia.com
Mon Oct 22 10:42:54 PDT 2018

Hi all,

With this email, I would like to express the intent of dropping support
for Armv7 traditional (without the Thumb2 extension) from the tree.

Though we at Igalia are willing to continue supporting Armv7 with Thumb2
extension, we don't have any need for the support of platforms lacking
Thumb2. Currently, this combination is broken and does not even compile.
The proposed change means that going forward, the only Arm 32-bit
architecture supported in LLInt, JIT and DFG would be Armv7 with the
Thumb2 extension. Other variants would have to resort to using LLInt
with the CLoop.

We currently have a buildbot for Armv7 Traditional[1] and we plan to
remove it.

If anyone cares for this specific platform, and wants to step forward to
do the maintenance work for it and set up their buildbot for it, please
say so before October 30 (a week+ from now). Otherwise I'll assume
nobody cares about this and I'll work on a patch to remove all the code
we have that is specific to Arm traditional.

Cheers,

Guij

[1] https://build.webkit.org/builders/JSCOnly%20Linux%20ARMv7%20Traditional%20Release