[webkit-dev] JavaScriptCore on Fuchsia

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Tue Jun 26 14:00:04 PDT 2018

As part of developing Fuchsia [1] (a new open-source operating
system), we ported JavaScriptCore to run on Fuchsia [2].  At the time,
our intent was to use this code within the Fuchsia source tree but not
to make it available for developers writing applications for Fuchsia.
However, recently, we've gotten a number of requests from customers
who would like to use JavaScriptCore in their Fuchsia applications.

I'd like your advice about the best way to maintain JavaScriptCore
support for Fuchsia.  Here are some possibilities I can imagine, but
we're open to other possibilities as well:

1. Maintain a fork of JavaScriptCore somewhere on googlesource.com
that supports Fuchsia and instruct customers to obtain the Fuchsia
port of JavaScriptCore from googlesource.com.

2. Maintain a branch of JavaScriptCore in svn.webkit.org that supports Fuchsia.

3. Maintain support for JavaScriptCore in the mainline of svn.webkit.org.

For reference, here's the patch we applied to WTF and JavaScriptCore
to enable Fuchsia support:

https://gist.github.com/abarth/b4fc909d83be5133cd7a5af209757e96

This patch is based on webkit at 206446, but we'd obviously rebase the
patch onto top-of-tree before contributing it.

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have that would help you
provide the best advice.  If you would prefer to communicate off-list,
I'm happy to do that as well.

Thanks in advance,
Adam

[1] https://fuchsia.googlesource.com/docs/+/master/README.md
[2] Actually, if you look at
https://fuchsia.googlesource.com/third_party/webkit, you'll see that
we've ported WebCore as well, but this email concerns only
JavaScriptCore.