[webkit-dev] A couple more build flags to review

Manuel Rego Casasnovas rego at igalia.com
Tue Feb 20 12:03:45 PST 2018

On 20/02/18 20:09, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> ENABLE_CSS3_TEXT looks to be support for text-align-last and
> text-justify [1]. Seems to be only partically implemented in WebKit. I
> guess this is the sort of thing that should probably be implemented
> eventually, so probably makes sense to keep it around and disabled for now.

I'm not sure about this. As you said ENABLE_CSS3_TEXT
is not being enabled by any port, this means that the tests
are not being run and that the related code is not being tested.

ENABLE_CSS3_TEXT flag seems to be used only for:
* -webkit-text-align-last property
* -webkit-text-justify property
* -webkit-each-line & -webkit-hanging keywords of text-indent

I don't know if anyone has plans to work on this stuff,
but if you enable now the flag, only the parsing tests are passing
the ones checking the behavior are broken.
I see that the last patches around these things are from 2014.

Actually we were enabling this flag in development builds in GTK+
for a while, and we got some regressions in these tests
due to some other changes (see bugs #163980 and bug #163982).
That was in 2016 so some stuff seems to have been broken since then.

I guess that if nobody has plans to work on this, update them
(to avoid prefixes) and make them work properly; the next step
should be removing the compilation flag together with
the associated code and tests.
If someone eventually wants to implement it, they could start over
or use the old code, but keeping untested code in the tree
without a clear plan doesn't seem like a great idea to me.

My 2 cents,
  Rego