[webkit-dev] Hash table empty value

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Wed Dec 19 14:39:52 PST 2018

> On Dec 19, 2018, at 12:54 PM, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro at igalia.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 2:31 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:
>> I tend to agree but then we'd come up with other numbers for the empty & deleted values.
>> I've been thinking that we could use -1 and -2 but that's also somewhat arbitrary restriction.
>
> Using min/max values seems much safer. E.g. we already have in HashTraits.h:

I think that’s true for integers, but for pointers, 0 and -1 are likely safer (if you don’t need to store null pointers) or -1 and -2 if you do, since all 1 bits is less likely to be a valid address. There’s also some optimization for the special case where the empty value is 0, but probably not that important if we often need to store null pointers.