[webkit-dev] the name "AtomicString"

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at igalia.com
Wed Dec 19 12:33:29 PST 2018

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 9:31 PM, Darin Adler <darin at apple.com> wrote:
> I’ve gotten used to the name AtomicString over the years, but I
> wouldn’t strongly object to changing it if other programmers are
> often confused by it’s similarity to the term “atomic
> operations”.

Well there were two other developers in the thread Ryosuke linked to
who made the exact same mistake as me, so I do think the current name
is problematic. A change wouldn't need to be drastic, though. I think
suggestions from the old thread like "StringAtom" or "AtomString" would
be unproblematic. The problem is the specific word "atomic" carries an
expectation that the object be safe to access concurrently across
threads without locks; I think that expectation doesn't exist if not
for the "ic" at the end.

FWIW I've only ever heard the "interned string" terminology prior to
now.

Michael