[webkit-dev] Watch out for std::optional's move constructor

Alex Christensen achristensen at apple.com
Mon Dec 17 15:55:30 PST 2018

Let me give a concrete example on why, even with our nice-to-use WTF types, the state of a C++ object is undefined after being moved from:

#include <wtf/RefCounted.h>
#include <wtf/RefPtr.h>
#include <iostream>

class Test : public RefCounted<Test> { };

void useParameter(RefPtr<Test>&& param)
{
  RefPtr<Test> usedParam = WTFMove(param);
}

void dontUseParameter(RefPtr<Test>&&) { }

int main() {
  RefPtr<Test> a = adoptRef(new Test);
  RefPtr<Test> b = adoptRef(new Test);
  std::cout << "a null? " << !a << std::endl;
  std::cout << "b null? " << !b << std::endl;
  useParameter(WTFMove(a));
  dontUseParameter(WTFMove(b));
  std::cout << "a null? " << !a << std::endl;
  std::cout << "b null? " << !b << std::endl;
  return 0;
}

// clang++ test.cpp -I Source/WTF -L WebKitBuild/Debug -l WTF -framework Foundation -L /usr/lib -l icucore --std=c++17 && ./a.out
// a null? 0
// b null? 0
// a null? 1
// b null? 0

As you can see, the internals of callee dontUseParameter (which could be in a different translation unit) affects the state of the local variable b in this function.  This is one of the reasons why the state of a moved-from variable is intentionally undefined, and we can’t fix that by using our own std::optional replacement.  If we care about the state of a moved-from object, that is what std::exchange is for.  I think we should do something to track and prevent the use of moved-from values instead of introducing our own std::optional replacement.