[webkit-dev] WebCorePrefix.h vs. config.h

Alexey Proskuryakov ap at webkit.org
Fri Dec 7 14:44:40 PST 2018

Hi,

Do we still need separate WebCorePrefix.h and config.h? The former has this comment, which I don't think is true any more:

/* This prefix file should contain only:
 *    1) files to precompile for faster builds
 *    2) in one case at least: OS-X-specific performance bug workarounds
 *    3) the special trick to catch us using new or delete without including "config.h"
 * The project should be able to build without this header, although we rarely test that.
 */

/* Things that need to be defined globally should go into "config.h". */

There are many things that contradict this comment in this file. And even when precompiled header is not in use, we include WebCorePrefix.h from config.h anyway:

// Using CMake with Unix makefiles does not use prefix headers.
#if PLATFORM(MAC) && defined(BUILDING_WITH_CMAKE)
#include "WebCorePrefix.h"
#endif

I'm mostly looking at some HAVE and ENABLE macros that are in these and should be elsewhere, but the confusion between these files bothers me a lot. Should we move everything from config.h to WebCorePrefix.h, and only keep config.h just to include WebCorePrefix for the lone build scenario where that's needed, and to undef new/delete?

- Alexey