[webkit-dev] New iOS versions sending bogus User-Agent build data

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at igalia.com
Thu Apr 26 08:22:57 PDT 2018

On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 7:15 AM, Ricky Young <ricky at gmx.com> wrote:
> I guess that soon it won't be possible to determine iOS version
> distribution using User-Agent sniffing. Right? Is there an
> alternative for the browser to tell the iOS version?

Hi,

The very point of no longer sending the verison in the user agent is to
make it difficult for websites to determine the operating system
version.

We already have to deal with enough serious web compatibility problems
caused by the rest of the information in the user agent. I'm pleased
that the version number is now stable -- that's a huge improvement --
but I won't be happy until Safari and other major browsers start
sending fully-randomized UAs, or else a stub or blank UA
("Mozilla/5.0").

Michael