[webkit-dev] small browser video tag

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at igalia.com
Fri Sep 22 06:12:46 PDT 2017

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 6:34 AM, Jerry Geis <jerry.geis at gmail.com>
wrote:
> I am trying to play a video with the video TAG and all I get is black
> screen.  How do I make my small browser use gstreamer to play the
> video which i have on the machine?

You shouldn't have to do anything if you have the necessary GStreamer
plugins installed. Occam's razor suggests maybe you don't? That seems
like the most likely reason for a black video. MP4 support is not
present in CentOS for legal reasons, so you'll need to grab extra
GStreamer plugins for that from somewhere else if you're trying to play
MP4... I don't know where those might be provided for CentOS. Free
formats like WebM should work out of the box, though. Try playing a
WebM video and see if that works.

Michael