[webkit-dev] Web App Manifest Standard

David Quesada david_quesada at apple.com
Wed Oct 25 11:57:13 PDT 2017

> On Oct 24, 2017, at 5:19 PM, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro at igalia.com> wrote:
>

> Hi David,
>
> If this is implemented in WebKit, how do you envision applications should consume the information?

The manifest would primarily be used when the user installs and later launches a web app, but some of its metadata (short_name, description, icons, theme_color, background_color) could have other uses.

> Do you plan to add API for Safari to use to access the web app metadata? If so, cool: we might follow up with a corresponding GLib API, since that would be useful for the GTK and WPE ports as well. If not, how do you plan for this to work?

I’m going to start by exposing these functionalities to applications:

1. Add API on the top-level browsing context to fetch the metadata and provide it to the application (i.e. run the steps at https://www.w3.org/TR/appmanifest/#dfn-steps-for-obtaining-a-manifest <https://www.w3.org/TR/appmanifest/#dfn-steps-for-obtaining-a-manifest> then invoke a callback function with a manifest object) The exact time this fetch happens is up to the implementation to decide.
2. Add API for specifying an application manifest to apply when creating a new top-level browsing context. This is needed since some properties of the manifest can affect the behavior of the web content. (This would likely be added as a new property on WKWebViewConfiguration, I’m not sure what the equivalent is for other ports.) This API would be used when setting up the web view when a user opens a web app.

- David